Objectives of the trainingTo provide the knowledge and skills required to better structure your business communications, most notably emails. Note that memos and reports are not covered in this course.
Targeted audienceAny French-speaking audience.
PrerequisiteGood knowledge of the English language.
- Using the Plain English approach for a clear and concise style (active forms, concrete verbs, etc.)
- Adapting style to the intended audience (formal, neutral or informal)
- How to ensure a good tone and the proper level of politeness
- Avoiding errors that might offend or lead to misunderstandings
- Common phrases and business vocabulary to use and to avoid
- Errors arising from direct word-to-word translation and other common problems
- Creating a model for writing emails
- The salutation (Dear Ms. Jones, Hello Steve) and the complimentary close (Sincerely, Regards, Thank you)
- Overview of business writing and editing tools (online, reference books and others)
Note: Explanations may be provided in French in order to ensure a good understanding of the concepts covered. This course focuses specifically on business communications such as e-mail writing.