ObjectivesTo provide the knowledge and skills required to better structure your business communications, most notably emails. Note that memos and reports are not covered in this course.
Targeted audienceAny French-speaking audience.
PrerequisiteGood knowledge of the English language.
- Using the Plain English approach for a clear and concise style (active forms, concrete verbs, etc.)
- Adapting style to the intended audience (formal, neutral or informal)
- How to ensure a good tone and the proper level of politeness
- Avoiding errors that might offend or lead to misunderstandings
- Common phrases and business vocabulary to use and to avoid
- Errors arising from direct word-to-word translation and other common problems
- Creating a model for writing emails
- The salutation (Dear Ms. Jones, Hello Steve) and the complimentary close (Sincerely, Regards, Thank you)
- Overview of business writing and editing tools (online, reference books and others)
Note: Explanations may be provided in French in order to ensure a good understanding of the concepts covered. This course focuses specifically on business communications such as e-mail writing.