To provide the knowledge and skills required to build a customized WordPress theme from a minimal theme.
Web integrators and developers.
Experience with HTML page layout (Course WE106), PHP (Course WE121) and WordPress (Course WE171).
- Installing a minimal theme as a starting point
- Installing test content with complete coverage
- Overview of the template hierarchy
- Installing the functions.php configuration file
- Peripheral components of a page: header, sidebar, footer
- Adding an optional header image
- Configuring menus with wp_nav_menu
- Managing index pages (welcome, archives, search results)
- Creating customized pagination
- Configuring the template for articles (content and metadata, forward/back navigation)
- Handling featured images
- Displaying comments (the number of comments, content and metadata, navigation, forms)
- Configuring the page template
- Displaying images with legends in the content
- Image galleries
- Registering widgets and defining widget zones
- Displaying the footer
- Customizing the search results page
- Configuring error pages and unsuccessful searches